Group Homes


Residents of a group living arrangement who are blind or disabled and receiving benefits under Title I, Title II, Title X, Title XIV, or Title XVI of the Social Security Act and residents of group living arrangements who are considered residents of institutions may be eligible to participate in SNAP.

A group living arrangement is defined as:

The facility must:

To be eligible for SNAP benefits, residents of group living arrangements must be blind or disabled according to Department policies (see Elderly or Disabled Clients).

Before certifying a resident of a group living arrangement, you must verify that the facility:


Application Procedures for Group Living Arrangements

Residents of group living arrangements (not including Teen Parenting Programs (TPP)) may apply and be certified:

The facility makes the determination as to which method of application will be used, based on the resident's physical and mental ability to handle his/her own affairs.  All of the residents of the group home do not have to be certified through the same method, i.e. through an authorized representative or individually in order for one or the other method to be used.  Some residents of the group home may use an authorized representative while others may not.


Group Living Arrangement as Authorized Representative

Residents who apply through the facility's authorized representative must have

eligibility determined as one-person households. The facility will:

Residents Acting on Their Own Behalf in Non-EBT Area (no Point of Sale (POS) terminal)

When a resident, or group of residents, applies and is certified on their own behalf or use an authorized representative of their own choice, the resident may:


Residents Acting on Their Own Behalf in Group Homes with a POS Terminal

When a resident, or group of residents, applies and is certified on their own behalf or through an authorized representative of their own choice, they must authorize the transfer of their monthly SNAP benefit to the facility through the use of an on-site POS Terminal or EBT Manual Voucher System.  The facility must receive and spend the residents' SNAP benefits for food to be prepared and served to the eligible residents, or may allow the residents to use any portion of their allotments on their own behalf.


Processing Department of Developmental Services (DDS) and Department of Mental Health (DMH) Group Home Cases

There is a simplified application process for certain DDS/DMH group home residents. These applications are usually completed by an authorized representative who will conduct all application and purchasing activities for the resident.


Eligible Group Home Population

Group home residents who are eligible for the simplified application process include disabled persons who receive:

and who are:


Ineligible Group Home Population

Group home residents who have neither applied for nor are receiving SSI must apply at the appropriate TAO for both EAEDC and SNAP benefits.


Simplified Application

The completed application package from the group home provider must consist of:

You must:

      • selecting the appropriate State Agency Licensed Group Home facility from the General Services dropdown list

      • selecting the Department of Mental Health (DMH) or Department of Mental Health (DMH) as the resource organization from the resource box, and

      • selecting Group Home as the Residential Facility Type


Streamlined Verification Process

Most of the verifications required can be obtained through an external agency match with SSA using SVES.  The remaining verifications must be provided by the Group Home representative.

Necessary verifications include:



For RSDI-only clients with no history of SSI, the client must verify her/his citizen/noncitizen status.



  • Group homes must submit the Other Agency Certification of Shelter Expense for Licensed Group Home Residents (FS-ACSE) form to verify shelter and utility costs. If there is a reported change in the shelter and utility costs, a new FS-ACSE form must be completed.

  • The authorized representative for the group home has been instructed to calculate the rent and utility amounts for the residents; however, when conducting the interview with an authorized representative you must review the figures to determine that you have the correct information.



You must conduct a phone interview with the designated Authorized Representative identified as assisting with the application/recertification process.  You may discuss the circumstances of multiple group home residents during the call.


Shelter Expenses

Group home residents are required to use a portion of their monthly income, usually 75% of the client’s income, to pay for food, shelter and care.  In order to maximize the amount of SNAP benefits the resident will receive, the Department allows the group home to identify 10% of the monthly shelter costs to be considered as a separate and identifiable charge for utilities so that the Heating/Cooling Standard Utility Allowance (HCSUA) can be given.  The remaining 90% is considered to be the rental payment.  Since the rental payment also includes food, the Maximum SNAP allotment for one person (use the current allotment amount from the SNAP issuance charts) must also be deducted from the rent payment.



A group home resident is charged $600.00 as shelter costs.  Ten percent or $60.00 is considered the utility payment; 90% or $540.00 is considered as the rental amount. $540.00 minus 194.00 Maximum Coupon Allotment for a household of one equals $346.00.  Enter $346.00 on the Shelter Expense page and give a HCSUA on the Standard Utility Allowance page.


Some group homes or group home residents may have rental subsidies; however the above formula still applies, regardless of the shelter amount.



Some group homes are required to pay utility costs for the client and are not allowed to charge the client for any utility costs.  In these circumstances an SUA is not allowed.


Certification Period

Group home residents must be certified for 24 months, unless the resident has earnings, in which case the client must be placed on Simp-12.


Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT)

The authorized representative will usually conduct all application and food purchasing activities for the resident.  The representative will receive EBT cards for all residents in their care and can use the same PIN code for all of the EBT cards.


Entering Group Home Data

Group Home Policy and Procedures



  Last Update:  March  24, 2017